The Making of a Nobody Part 35 | Speed Over Perfection

The Making of a Nobody Part 35 | Speed Over Perfection
February 11, 2021 Mark S. McNally
speed over perfection

I am a recovering perfectionist. I am guilty in the past of wasting my time and my team’s time to get it just right.

The fact of the matter is, most of the times we kicked off these projects, the initial meeting or email was 85% right and had most of the good ideas. and that first step took 5% of the time of the project. The rest of the 95% time/effort went into chasing that last 15% of improvement on the journey to perfection. TIMES HAVE CHANGED IN THREE IMPORTANT WAYS.

1) Those days I often found myself on products and projects, events, releases, campaigns that had to be scripted from day one… and choreographed for a grand voila. Today we live in an iterative, agile, 140 character world. Most news articles these days have typos in them. Times have changed radically.

2) It is much more about what discussion and engagement/input you can get from the user base than it is about your perfect pontification.

3) Innovation is happening at light speed. Taking the time to get your PERFECT response to one breaking trend, ensures that 1000 more will pass you by.

Perfect: the enemy of good/great.


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *